Wednesday, May 8, 2013

UKRADENÀ VZDUCHOLOD - "The Stolen Airship" (1967)

As Froggy The Gremlin used to say, "Hiyah Kids, Hiyah, Hiyah!! Okay, so welcome to the Weirdsville Wednesday Kiddie Matinee deep, deep, down here in The Dungeon! Tonight's feature is one I have had sitting on the shelf for about 4 or 5 years now, because I never could quite figure out what the Hell to do with it, but now the time has come, and there's no place to run, I might get burned up by the Sun, but I'll have my fun, flying around in a "Stolen Airship!"

 "The Stolen Airship" is a film that tries to answer that age old question: Why does asparagus make my urine smell so freakin' strange, but never quite meets it's full potential!

"The Stolen Airship" was made in Czechoslovakia in 1967, and is a wild amalgam of random images, paper cutouts and green screen that makes me think it's an extended Monty Python episode gone extra weirdsville!

"The Stolen "Airship" is loosely based on two of Jules Verne's books, combined into one story, "Two Years Vacation," and "The Mysterious Island!"

It IS considered to be a movie made for kids, but.......

.......You do have scenes like this where Can-Can girls are dancing in the sky, and......

............young peepers get quite an eyeful, before being hustled off by the local morality patrol! Good thing those gals had drawers on!!

Zeppelins and Dirigibles, oh, how I long for days gone by!!

The version of "The Stolen Airship" that Tedmo rounded up for us is totally in Czechoslovakian, and even though I know a considerable amount of people of Slovenian descent, I must say, we rarely ever discuss Czechoslovakian fantasy films of the 1960's, so all I can say about this still is 'What The Fuck?!"

"Move 'em on, head 'em up, Head 'em up, move 'em out, Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide! Set 'em out, Ride 'em in, let 'em out, Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, Rawhide." Yeah!!!

So these kids steal this cool airship, and sail off to worlds unknown! Is that beer they are drinking? Sure as Hell looks like it!

"The Stolen Airship" is full of wondrous images that sometimes come at you in rapid fire succession!

So, if a bear farts in the woods, and there's nobody around to hear it, does it make any sound?

Here's where the "Mysterious Island" part kicks in, the kids stumble upon the secret domain of Captain Nemo!

This very cool shot reminds me of a scene from "King Kong" for some damn reason!!

I give "The Stolen Airship" a two gun salute for originality, focus and design, but...............did I enjoy it, kind of, would I recommend seeking it out, almost, but in the long run, it's just another weird movie that each individual is going to have to figure out for themselves! It's just different, and I can't do it for you!! It might be your favourite movie of all time, and then again, you might hate it, but when it's all said and done, it's up to you!

No comments:

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??